Support at home
Want to stay independent but donít know how?
A little help in your home can make an enormous difference. Thanks to our reliable and safe support, thousands of people are able to live in their own homes independently and get more out of life.
We understand it can be a worry to realise that you may need some extra support at home. Thatís why our help is designed to fit in with you. Itís easy to set up and you can change it at any time.
All sorts of people receive our support. Our customers include people:
- Of all ages who just need a little help now and then.
- Who need short-term support, perhaps while recovering from an illness.
- Who need more intensive support, including those with physical impairments and learning disabilities.
Our services include
Help around the home
- Support to get up, get dressed, have a wash or take a relaxing bath.
- Help to take your medication.
Help when you're out and about
- Help to prepare food, from a quick snack to a tasty breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Help with day-to-day tasks like housework, shopping, gardening, running errands or even pet walking.
- Home maintenance Ė need a plug changing or shelves putting up?
- Support so that you can take part in activities outside your home. Perhaps to attend hospital, take part in sporting activities, visit friends or to watch the latest film at the cinema.
- Companionship Ė someone to chat to.
- Home from hospital if you live alone, coming home after a hospital stay can be daunting. We can make sure everything is ready for your return and welcome you home.
- Support so that you or a family member can have a break.
We will match your requirements with a small team of our carers who you will see regularly. We think it is important that they get to know you and how you like to do things in your home.
Each member of your team receives regular, personalised training so they can provide you with the highest quality service. Before we employ someone, we make sure they share our values. They must be reliable, flexible and friendly - that way we know they can offer you the right support.
We know it can be a big step to invite new people into your home. However, we have been providing care and support for over 60 years and safety has always been our top priority.
A flexible approach
We understand that everyone likes different things and that you have your own needs and wishes, so we make sure our services are tailored to you. Our support is completely flexible, varying from half-hour visits to 24-hour care. Check with your local service for details of what we can offer you.
Before you sign up with us, we listen carefully to you and find out exactly what you want from your support. We then put together a plan that clearly sets out what you want us to do. We can grow or reduce your support according to what you tell us you need.
If you wish to make changes to your support, or just chat about it, you can always talk to your team or get in touch with our office.
Contact us and we will be happy to visit you at home to discuss what you want. You can invite your family or friends to be there too.
This visit is free and you are under no obligation to buy any services from us. Many people are entitled to assistance with the cost of their care. Some receive support from local authorities. Ask us and we will advise you on the best options for you. Once you feel comfortable with what we are offering, you can leave the rest to us.
We would love to hear from you, whether youíd like to:
- Find out more about our support at home services.
- Talk to one of our service managers.
- Be part of our team.
or call us on 020 3242 0392 to find out more, or search for a support at home service near you
The Voluntary Organisations Disability Group (VODG) has produced a guide to choosing a support provider (PDF)
, which you may find helpful.
There are a number of ways that you can get involved in supporting the work of Leonard Cheshire Disability.
Whether you're interested in volunteering, fundraising, or campaigning for government and organisations to treat disabled people fairly, you can get involved in our work